Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Desmond Elliott Prize 2012

The Desmond Elliott Prize is awarded for a first novel written in English published in the UK.  This isits fifth year and the longlist has just been announced.  Three of the four previous winners have featured as my book of the week, so I was interested to see how things would go this year.  Of the ten longlisted books this year, I have previously featured The Bellwether Revivals (Benjamin Wood), The Land of Decoration (Grace McCleen) and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce).  Watch out for Absolution by Patrick Flanery coming soon, as it is a book I have been having a look at.  The shortlist will be announced in one month's time.

Update - The Land of Decoration has won.  A very fine book which I liked a lot - interesting to see if Grace McCleen can sustain it in the future.  I suspect that this was a book from the heart.
 

No comments: